Thursday, June 29, 2006

Why Do Americans Hate Soccer

What do Americans have against soccer? Is it because we suck at it? It's almost like we have the feeling since we can't beat the world at it why try. Better to act like we don't care, and lose than get excited for a worldwide event such as the World Cup and get embarrassed by going 0-2-1 and only scoring 1 goal.

Shortly before the start of the World Cup I probably felt the same as 99% of Americans. Below is a response to an email from a friend about watching the World Cup.
"As far as the World Cup I don't know how much I'll watch. I guess I'd probably watch the US if they're on while I'm home, and there are no Brewers, Red Sox, reruns of the Office, NASCAR, Golf, or episodes of American Chopper on. I'm not going to re-arrange my schedule to watch any games. I sure as S not going to watch Togo vs.. Kerblackastan just for the heck of it. I may end up watching Championship game as well, again only if the above programs are not on at the same time."

Well my feelings have since changed. They changed in the split second US Midfielder Clint Dempsey fired shot past the Ghana goaltender. All of my beliefs that Soccer was a slow boring sport were erased. The end result wasn't in the US's favor, but I decided then and there that we needed to become a World power in Soccer.

What is our largest obstacle?

Soccer is a game played by thousands and thousands of Americas youth. However if you're a good athlete in America you're going to be pushed towards sports such as basketball, and football because they're viewed as the high profile/big money making sports. American's need to realize there is money to be made in soccer you just need to go overseas. The Forbes list of the most Powerful celebrities David Beckham ranks in at #43 ahead of American heros LeBron James, Alex Rodriguez, and Tom Brady.

Maybe America will never be a Soccer Power, but a guy can dream.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob- I am thrilled to hear you got the soccer spirit after seeing my goal.

We believe that we are close to being a soccer power. The strides we've made in the last 10 years have been phenomenal, the US team used to be a joke, now ask any player on a national team and they will tell you that we are getting close to becoming a soccer powerhouse.

Get on board with the MLS, the more exposure our league gets, the more kids will dream of being a professional soccer player.

We can't wait for South Africa!
-Clint Dempsey

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think part of the problem is that the best athletes are playing other sports, but I don't think the difference in athleticism between the U.S. team and other National teams is that great. I think the problem lies more in the way kids/players in the States are taught to play. There is a certain level of sophistication to the game in terms of when to play 1v1, when to play quickly, how to play in the final third vs. the middle third of the field, etc. that appears to be missed in the American style of play (or atleast in the 3 games I watched this year). Maybe its coaching or maybe its bigger than that, starting with youth soccer. Anyway, nice site Bob.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home